Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Changing my ways...

I have started to change my idea on how I buy music. I was always one of those people who wanted the CD. I want to read the liner notes, and get all of the info packed inside. A few things have altered my thinking on that.I usually just read the liner notes once. If even that, sometimes I store the CD away and never get around to reading the liner notes.

On Amazon it is usually cheaper, sometimes a lot cheaper to buy the whole album digitally. I downloaded one "CD" 11 bucks cheaper than if I had bought the physical product from the store. Seriously, 11 dollars!!!! Just glancing through it seems like around a 5 dollar average in savings. A couple of those and I can buy a book on the musician I am interested in. Another benefit is that I get the music pretty much instantaneously.

Now if what I am looking for isn't available for download, I will still buy CD, but I figure that will be getting rarer as companies open up more of their catalogs.

The digital age indeed.

4 comments:

  1. I changed my buying habits a couple years ago. Honestly, I'm so glad I did. I love just buying through iTunes. Saves so much money. I just burn mix CDs about once every couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree. Since I bought my son an iPod a few years back, and my wife earlier thia year, iTunes has been a godsend. I do still buy CDs however - for playing at work - but I tend to use Amazon rather than going to the record shop these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm the odd one out. I tend to be a bit slow to adapt to change. I practically had to be dragged kicking and screaming to buy a DVD player. And now, I am still holding on to buying CDs. I like the idea of having something phyical to show for my money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DVDs were an easy sell for me. Never have to rewind again? Sold! Plus all of the neat extras you get with them.

    It took me awhile to get over owning the physical CD as well. But like I said when I bought an $18 CD for $7. I got over it. I still do buy some CDs. Just less now.

    ReplyDelete