Thursday, November 8, 2007

He Hates Batman!!!


Now some might see this sketch and think, "Man, he hates Batman."
Others, "Wow what a Predator fan."
Still others, "What a weirdo."
Well, I neither hate Batman, nor have any great love for Predator. The third you will have to decide on your own.

This tale begins back in the Spring of 2003 when I was at a comic convention talking to local artist Chris Medellin. He had a request to do a sketch of the Predator killing Batman, but he had no reference for ol' Pred. I was helping a friend of mine at a booth, and my friend allowed me to sell some 25 cent comics there. I had about 2 longboxes, and I knew that I had some Predator minis by Dark Horse in there at one point, but I had sold a bunch that day. No one else had any so, I went and looked, lo and behold I still had some and provided the comics. Cool. Chris completed the sketch, and gave me the funny books back.

Flash forward to Wizard World 2006. I am walking through Artist Alley, and see Chris there. He has a new comic out, and I pick it up. He has a few sketches lying on his table, and I flip through them. Out pops the above sketch.
"Oh, man! You still have this? I remember this one." I tell him
"Yeah the sonuvabitch never came back, and I can't get rid of it!" Chris exclaims
"Man that sucks."
"Look, Travis, five bucks and it is yours."
"Sold"
"Seriously, thank you for getting off of my hands."

It only took 3 1/2 years too.

2 comments: