Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Appear Relevant


So, last Friday afternoon I am at home from work noodling around in City of Heroes and drinking a beer. There is a knock at the door, and it is my neighbor. She asks if I will be around for a little while, and I tell her I should be. See, she sold her couch, chair, and ottoman to some dude, and wants some help moving it. It took all of my willpower to not just respond,"Well I guess he should have brought more people." Instead, "Sure."

Later she calls me, and I go out to help. who did the guy bring? Some, how to put this delicately, older gentleman (late 50s probably). Naturally, the couch is upstairs. By the way the it is a couch with a hide-a-bed so it is one heavy sucker. We do everything we can to lighten the load, and my neighbor goes to her neighbor on the other side to bring him in.

We finally get the couch moved to the stairs, and it is hot upstairs. When we tilt the couch to go down the stairs the bed falls out. We get some wire to tie the bed down. I don't know what the AC is set at, 85 maybe, it is scorching up there. The other neighbor, Hasshan, I feel real bad for him. He is wearing black slack, a long sleeve black dress shirt and a tie. He was at home for lunch from work. After much finagling, since couches never go down stairs easily, we get the damn thing down. I am exhausted, and so is Hasshan who needs to get back to work. Everyone else is nice and gets out fo our way so we can carry the couch by ourselves out to the dudes truck. Now I am getting pissed and we do little more than drag it across the yard.

Here is the kicker: The guy buying the couch? Didn't help at ALL! He just stood outside talking to my neighbor the entire time. Oh man was I mad. We are moving furniture he bought, and this sorry motherfucker doesn't even help! All he did was help load into his truck at the very end when Hasshan left to go back to work. It wasn't like he couldn't help, he was this real cut dude too. Looks like he works out all the time. What a jerk

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is infuriating dude. I had to move a neighbor's couch last week (Hide-A-Bed too). But at least her brother helped. This jerk...well I hope his couch falls apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, I just found out that my neighbor is moving. I had no idea, she never said anything.

    ReplyDelete